SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
Monday, February 15, 2010
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Tyler Boden called the meeting to order at 5:01 p.m. in Aztlan.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Tyler Boden, Jeremy Katz, Ignacio Prado, Candice Luistro, Laura Schofield, Amanda Pascoe, Isaac Castro, Caleb McCanne, Michael Toubi, Natalie Colli, Becky King, Grant Mack, and Alyssa Bruni.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Dr. Timothy Quinnan, Nancy Lopez and Dan Cornthwaite.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: None.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
MACK/PASCOE - CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Executive Committee Minutes of 02/085/10, copy attached.
SCHOFIELD/MACK - CARRIED
V. APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
VI. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Tyler reported on the following items:
- He met with Scott Sabans, President of SDSU Ambassadors and had a good discussion about how to continue to build and strengthen working relations between the two organizations.
- He met recently with MarComm regarding progress in developing a new Events Calendar for SDSU, which is modeled after one in use at Duke University.
- He met recently with the Director of the TMF department on campus regarding developing an Aztec TV offering at SDSU. The meeting went well and there is a possibility of collaboration in putting together a structure for the program as well as possibly offering a class.
- Allan Acevedo will be appearing at AS Council on Wednesday to formally resign from his position as the Legislative Research Commissioner on the President’s Cabinet.
- Executive Vice President: Jeremy reported that the Referendum Campaign Kick-off began today, with five organization endorsements received thus far.
- Vice President of External Affairs: Alyssa reported on the following items:
- 1. Nicole Anderson of Sacramento State has been appointed by Governor Schwarzenegger as the Student Trustee.
- State Senator and President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg will host a live webcast at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 23rd to include a live discussion with student leaders from UC, CSU and California’s community colleges to students across the state. This webcast will include pre-taped "day-in-the-life" segments about the impact of fee increases on the lives of students, discussion between Senator Steinberg and the student leaders, as well as answers from panelists to questions submitted from statewide participants via email. To sign-up for the webcast, submit a question for the discussion, or share your story about how fee increases have affected your time as a student, please visit http://democrats.sen.ca.gov/highered.
- Vice President of Finance: No report.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Natalie reported on the following items:
- Greenfest and Greek Week have determined they will offer a combined program for the week of April 19-23.
- Only 435 tickets remain for the LMAFO concert on 4/23 at the Open Air Theatre. Tickets are on sale for $5.00 at the Aztec Center Ticket Office.
- March 1 is an important date this year….it’s the deadline for submitting study abroad scholarship applications as well as the last day you can pick up tickets for the LMFAO concert.
- She attended an Enrollment Management Policy Task Force meeting and will have a detailed update at Wednesday’s AS Council meeting.
- President Pro Tempore: Caleb reported the following items:
- He just made a ModernSpace presentation to USFC that went very well. He expects the organization will endorse the advisory fee referendum.
- Tabling requirements for AS Council members are due on Friday.1
- Executive Director: Dan reported that AS staff is working on proposed budgets for 2010/11 that will include reductions attributable to reduced campus enrollment projections.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. Quinnan reported on the following items:
- SLL has reached the 250-participant cap on the new Leadership Institute program scheduled for Saturday, February 27th!
- Vice President, Business & Financial Affairs’ Designee: President Weber announced today the hiring of a new Athletic Director – Mr. Jim Sterk of Washington State University, who is expected to assume his new duties in March.
- Facilities Board Recommendations of 2/15/10: Jeremy reviewed the Facilities Board minutes of February 15th, copy attached. It was moved and seconded to approve the Facilities Board Recommendations of 2/15/10.
TOUBI/MCCANNE - CARRIED
- Finance Board Recommendations of 2/15/10: Ignacio reviewed the Finance Board minutes of February 15th, copy attached. It was moved and seconded to approve the Finance Board Recommendations of 2/15/10.
PASCOE/MACK - CARRIED
IX. CLOSED SESSION
- A. It was moved and seconded to go into closed session to review an updated report on a personnel matter as well as the quarterly Pending Claims Report.
MACK/COLLI - CARRIED
- B. Following a report by the Executive Director, it was moved and seconded to rise and report out of closed session.
SCHOFIELD/MACK - CARRIED
During closed session, the Executive Director provided an updated report and answered questions on the personnel matter involving the previously reported fiscal improprieties at the Aztec Recreation Center, as well as an update on pending litigation arising out of an August 2008 injury claim at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center.
- A. Vagina Monologues is set for February 26-28 at the Don Powell Theatre.
- The SDSU Debate Team Tournament (our team ranked 15th in the US) is planned for February 27th at PSFA. Please come and cheer on the SDSU Debate Team!
- A self-defense training class is scheduled for 2/28 at the Alumni Center. See Becky King if you would like to attend.
- Panhellenic election applications are due 3/01; Panhellenic working on revisions to their bylaws.
- Student Affairs Board held a retreat this past Friday that went very well.
- LGBTSU is going to a conference this weekend.
- The ModernSpace presentation was very well received at the AESC meeting, who voted to endorse the fee referendum.
- 4 individuals have submitted applications for the vacant Engineering seat on AS Council. AESC hopes to make a selection soon.
- Green Love Advisory Board hosts their Brown Bag Lecture on Wednesday, February 17th from 1:00-2:30pm at Scripps Cottage. A light organic lunch will be provided.
- Grant announced that Glen Brandenburg (MBAC Director and AS Sustainability Coordinator) has been selected by the California Center for Sustainable Energy to receive their 2010 Outstanding Individual Achievement Award to be presented at the 6th Annual SANDEE Awards on Thursday, March 25th at 6pm at the CCSE facility on Balboa Avenue. Congratulations Glen!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:47 p.m.
PASCOE/MACK - CARRIED
APPROVED BY: PREPARED BY:
Tyler Boden, Dan Cornthwaite,
AS President Executive Director